Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Transition to Adulthood


The strategy that I will use to promote independent living for Adam is focusing on basic social skills. Initially I will focus on the ability to identify his frustration before meltdowns, which usually means running away or self-injury. I will have Adam identify 1 activity he can do instead of running away. He can choose to hold a squeezable ball or other object. I would like him to squeeze the ball instead of running away. I will encourage his mother to carry this over at home. In addition, stopping and starting will be addressed by having him engaging in a grocery cart activity. I will have him start and stop so he begins to understand this concept more clearly. His family has learned to anticipate his breakdowns and have removed many issues. This appears good but environmental complexity is reduced and he does not have to deal with his all-or-nothing responses to stimulation. These are basic skills but will be necessary for the future when he will need to interact with others, participate in school, and pursue an occupation.

The strategy I will use to advance vocational awareness is empowerment to the family. Since this module I have discussed the importance of talking to Adam about having a career just like they do to their other 3 children. Adam’s mother was encouraged and open-minded when discussing these strategies. In addition, I will educate them on the importance of looking at vocation as a longitudinal goal. They can start to focus on extreme areas of interest and talk with the entire family about Adam pursuing a career one day. Talking to Adam in daily conversation about careers is another way to teach him and the family to have occupational expectations. In addition, this is a good avenue to reiterate the importance of social interaction development, since it is a skill needed for the work environment.

Thank you all to Adam’s supporters, your feedback, suggestions, and learning opportunities. I wish everyone the best with your future case studies!

2 comments:

  1. Kirstin, I have enjoyed following your case study and others to see how we have all integrated our learning to real life cases. I especially enjoyed your pictures - always brought a smile to my face. Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christina! It has been fun getting to know everyone through their work!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete