Friday, March 20, 2009

Cognition, Perception, and Action


My initial evaluation was completed 6 years ago. I gave Adam the Peabody Developmental Motor Skills Test, used observation, and an interview with Mom. My comments indicate that he did not want to participate in some tasks on the Peabody. He received a score of poor for visual-motor and below average for fine motor, and was functioning at the 14-15 month level. It was recorded that he was ambulating, had not established hand dominance, used a palmer grasp for marking. Adam did not creep and used a wide base of support. He was following 1 step directions inconsistently.

His mother's biggest concerns were regarding his particular diet and sensory defensiveness. Noah was often in the high arousal mode. His mother's chief complaints now are eating vegetables, drinking from an open cup, and writing.

Perceptual: The treatments that I use to address these issues are writing tasks with concepts from Handwriting Without Tears. I need to break down the task as he copies alphabet letters. He often requires tactile prompts to initiate.

Movement: Adam works on climbing on different surfaces, creeping, and getting into various swings in order to address motor planning, coordination, and body awareness through proprioceptive activities. He enjoys this.

Cognitive: I work on incorporating cognitive skills into tasks. I encourage Noah to communicate his needs, recall previous information, and follow directions. I work on preparing him for the next activity such as drinking or eating. Since this class I have used the token system to complete drinking. Family is also using this system at home. He is now drinking 4 sips from an open cup at home, which is a huge success for him.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Kirsten!
    which do you think is his greatest area of deficit?
    how does that impact the other areas?
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsten,
    I have tried a schedule board with two of my kids and, although I thought that they were too young to grasp the concept, it has worked very well. Glad to hear you have had the same kind of success with the token system and that the family has found it beneficial! Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    I feel Adam's biggest areas of deficit are his rigid thinking and modulation issues. This impacts all area of function heavily. It is a fine line for me to push him and not lose his focus for the session. I know when he is stressed Mom is bothered. I feel that is why they have made so many modifications in their life. However, I have started to bring up the social issues and need to address them. They cancelled this week so I hope that wasn't an attempt to avoid some of the areas I asked them to think about!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kirsten....
    It sounds challenging that you have to treat him in the clinic only...but it sounds as if the family could carry out some suggestions that you may have for increasing opportunities in the community. Since you have mentioned a couple time issues with modulating (between being bothered and irate) have you tried the Alert Program with him, or Stick Kids? Identifying for him where he is at and giving him strategies to help may be beneficial in multiple contexts....hmmm....challenging issues. --joan

    ReplyDelete